Another Little Project, Huge Return

Just like adding the door handle to the barn doors had made life much easier, the project from this post has immediately done the same thing.

If you remember from this post, I had put an Ikea bench at the front door for shoe storage and a place to let the kids sit to get their outdoor stuff on and off.  I knew all along I wanted to make a hanging board to go above it.  As I hadn’t been able to get it done, the top of the bench became a table to drop coats, gloves, and hats, all of which spilled over onto the floor.

I had bought these hooks from Amazon, with the intention of building a hang board as soon as possible.



The plan was to take a one by four or six board and paint it white, then add the hooks.  As I was looking around the shop area in the barn I wasn’t finding much in the way of one bys, but there was some PVC wood that my dad has used to frame around some of the windows on the barn.  I called him to see if I could use some of it and I was on my way.  I did a test with a scrap piece to make sure that the PVC would have the strength to hold the hooks, after I was satisfied that it would, I got to work.  The PVC has wood grain on one side, and is smooth on the other.  Homestead Mom like the smooth side, as it matched the bench better.  I had seven hooks so I cut the board to 48″ and placed the hooks every six inches.







The hooks came with mounting hardware, but I found in my test of the PVC’s strength that the screws were slightly too long and would scratch the wall when I hung the board.  I remedied that situation by taking a bolt cutters and trimming off a bit of each screw.  I was drilling pilot holes so the point of the screw wasn’t really necessary anyways.






As with everything I mount to a wall I try, if at all possible, to screw them into studs.  I was hoping to mount it into three studs, but one of the hooks was in the way so two will have to suffice.

Overall I am very happy with how it turned out, and even more importantly, Homestead Mom likes it.  It wasn’t up for more than five minutes and it was practically full.  I may have to make another one.  Using the PVC really saved me time and the mess of having to paint wood, I am glad that option occurred to me.



This entry was posted in DIY, Family, homesteading and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s